Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Waiting for Peanut

I like to read from Eugene Peterson's contemporary rendering of the Bible in The Message. This morning I read Psalm 42 and especially liked the opening verse: "A white-tailed deer drinks from the creek; I want to drink God, deep draughts of God." What a wonderful image as we enter yet another 100 degree day here in Texas. And what a wonderful reminder of how to refresh my anxious spirit as I wait for the arrival of our newest grandchild. "Peanut" is due later this month, but at the last appointment the tests showed he is already over 9 pounds, so our son expects they will deliver him early, one way or the other. Our daughter-in-law is a small woman, so I am concerned about her well being as well as our grandson's and of course our son's as he also waits anxiously for his son's arrival.

My mother always told me I was born impatient. I have no way of knowing if that is true or not. I do know I have had to learn to practice patience, like most folks do I suppose. I have learned with our first two wonderful grandchildren that one of the jobs of a grandparent is to stand patiently on the sidelines and wait. When there is a crisis, as when our first grandson was rushed to the hospital ill, I find waiting patiently most difficult. I would rather be doing something, almost anything!, besides waiting patiently and leaving things in God's good hands.

Probably more than patience, I have had to continually relearn the importance of relying upon God and God's promises--for myself and for my children and for their children. I do "want to drink God, deep draughts of God." I just have to regularly remind myself of what a blessing it is to do that and then to wait patiently for God's timing. Some things, like the arrival of a precious grandchild, cannot be hurried.

Grace and Peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: