Monday, August 13, 2007

School excitement

I was one of those kids who loved going to school. In fact I loved it all the way through, though I have to admit I didn't enjoy law school as much as college. Seminary, however, was one of the best things I've ever done, though harder in some respects than law school. It demanded more of a personal response than law school.

Now I'm the teacher instead of the student and my summer has already ended. I just turned in my contract for the fall semester, and I am working on getting the course syllabi finalized. It's just about time to take the plunge. I understand better now after several semesters of teaching college students why, when I told one of my seminary professors that the semester always felt like I was galloping from start to finish, she responded, I just want to get on the horse before it takes off!

Now I'm looking forward to getting to know a new group of students, and I'm honored to see that a couple of former students have signed up to take the plunge with me again. It's always a rewarding challenge to start a new class and work to make it a community where we are comfortable enough to teach and learn from each other. Of course when that happens (and so far it always has) it's also hard to say goodbye at the end of the semester.

What a blessing to have work to do that is challenging and rewarding and that I love to do. God is good. All the time. Even here and now when it feels like my life is preparing to gallop out of control for the next few months! I am also getting ready to teach a month long Sunday school class on Christianity and World Religion and several weeks of Spanish Bible study on the Prophet Jeremiah. And we are expecting the imminent arrival of another grandchild. I know for sure that I won't be bored. May you too find rewarding work to do that you love and discover the joy of using your God-given talents in God's service.

Grace and Peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: