Friday, August 31, 2007

Sloth

I am reminded today that one of the seven deadly sins is sloth. After enjoying a day off yesterday celebrating my birthday by doing mostly just what I wanted to do, I'm finding it hard today to get back to work preparing to teach Sunday School and my classes next week, doing laundry, picking up and putting away and all those mundane chores that are required to keep a home functioning. Contemplating the work that needs to be done, I find myself wishing I could just goof off. But I also know myself well enough to know that I would not be content for too long if all I ever had to do was goof off. And besides as God has richly blessed me, I feel an obligation to use the gifts with which I have been blessed rather than just sitting here being slothful. I'm grateful for the ability and freedom to work at a job I like very much. Teaching is rewarding because of the interaction with the students, and because it forces me to keep learning. So this Labor Day weekend, I'm grateful for the opportunity and the ability to labor. Too many in this world are not so blessed.

Grace and Peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: