Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Heart Sick

I've watched the news about the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti with much sadness. I cannot imagine how I would cope if there was no water, no electricity, no food, no safe place to sleep, and no effective government to enforce security and begin to fix the problems. If I added on top of that losing those I love, I would probably not function at all. Perhaps knowing that is what has had me weeping over the pictures of people looking lost, and of the injured children especially. I think only God can begin to help anyone to recover from such a monumental disaster.

Like many of my family and friends,especially the Christians, I was appalled by Pat Robertson's comments. I don't worship a God that willfully kills people by the thousands. From all that I have read and heard on thoughtful news programs, poverty contributed immensely to the problems. And this country has had a hand in Haiti for many years, not always in a helpful way. Which leaves me to conclude that while it was God's creation that shook the island, the disaster that followed resulted in large part from human action or inaction. I pray the recovery will be helped by human action for the better. And I continue to pray for those children of God in Haiti.

Grace and Peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: