Friday, December 18, 2009

Wisdom

I have been thinking about wisdom as I have worked on my latest sermon, which I will deliver the last Sunday of this year. According to my theological dictionary, wisdom is knowing what is good and true and knowing the difference between what is true and what is false. In the chapter, "Infallibility," in Kathleen Norris' book, Amazing Grace,she says, "Adult infallibility ... is a regrettable condition, a type of regression, a hardening of the arteries around the heart of ignorance." I think to avoid this kind of spiritual heart disease, we have to continue to learn and to grow in wisdom all the days of our lives. So I continue to try to teach myself Chinese characters by reading the Psalms each morning in my Chinese-English Bible and to study writing with a retired English professor at the local community center and to learn from others about life. I'm thankful to God for the ability and the opportunity to continue to learn and hopefully to grow in wisdom.

Grace and Peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: