Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Remembering

The news that Osama bin Laden had been killed flashed me back to September 11, 2001 and the hallway leading to a seminary classroom as well as the shock we all felt at the news of the attacks that day. I can only imagine how much more painful this news has been for those who lost loved ones that day or who continue to suffer from the after effects of  their efforts to help with rescue and cleanup. My heart is filled with sadness at the thought of so much grief and pain from the evil that caused it. I have no room in my heart for rejoicing at this man's death, which does nothing to erase the results of his evil. I pray his death will bring a sense of relief and closure to those who grieve and perhaps lessen the violence in this world somehow. But I am appalled at those who have danced in the streets with joy at this news. Their actions are too sharp a reminder of those across the world who also danced at the news of our tragedy here that awful day. Such jubilation only serves to stoke the flames of hatred and violence. Better to respond with prayer and a somber spirit that remembers all that has been lost.

Grace and peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: