Monday, August 31, 2009

60 and Counting

With the help of my wonderful family, I passed a milestone yesterday. I still find it hard to believe I'm now 60 years old. The celebration began on Friday and continued through the weekend so by the time Sunday rolled around I had begun to get used to the idea. I'm not sure why we humans choose to focus on such milestones, but this birthday has been a good time for me to stop and take stock of where I am and where I hope to go in the remaining time that God allows me on this earth.

I spent the weekend seeing vividly before me the many blessings of my life. Sometimes I think God allows us for a brief time to see the world through God's eyes, and this weekend was such a time for me. My sons and their wives and children spent months planning a celebration on my behalf. Their love helped heal the many wounds of this past year of my life.

I enjoyed the party immensely and especially the fact that we were able to be together for a time, a rare occurrence these days. So I watched all of their beautiful faces around the dinner table as my husband gave thanks for my life, and I gave thanks for having each of them in my life. I watched my grand kids play together with their cousins and aunts and uncles. My heart throbbed with the beauty of it all. Whatever happens in my life from now on, I will carry these wonderful memories with me. God is good and this weekend, I remembered to say so and to give thanks.

Grace and Peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: