Thursday, July 17, 2008

Summertime

We leave in a few days for the beach. My husband has a conference and our middle son will also attend with him for the first time. Both are physicians. Our daughter-in-law and two oldest grand kids will also be going, so we will have lots of kid fun at the beach. We're travelling together to save gas as it's a long ways from where we live in Central Texas to the coast. I pray this will be a good time for my husband, who lost his mother recently. His father died in May. I always find the majesty of God's ocean soothing to my soul. It's a reminder that I'm not in control of the universe, and that's a good thing! It has been awhile since we made this trek. Last time Hurricane Emily arrived in South Texas shortly after we did so we left the island after only one afternoon on the beach. I'm accustomed to taking my portable easel and sitting under a large beach umbrella and painting while we there. In fact I learned after the first couple of summers of painting on the beach that I had become mildly famous as the artist on the beach. I actually sold a couple of paintings, an amazing experience as I paint for fun, not for profit. This time I think I will reluctantly leave my easel behind. There's only so much room in our van and with six of us making the trip I suspect we'll need the space for other things. And I will want to spend the time playing with the grand kids and talking with our son and daughter-in-law as well as simply relaxing. When we return I have another sermon to prepare. Summer is almost over and the pace will pick up as fall arrives. What a blessing to have an opportunity to slow down and play in God's beautiful world. I pray that will be healing balm to my husband's hurting heart.

Grace and Peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: