Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Teaching

I was reading from the Epistle of James this morning in Eugene Peterson's The Message, and was transfixed by the beginning of Chapter 3: "Don't be in any rush to become a teacher, my friends. Teaching is highly responsible work. Teachers are held to the strictest standards. And none of us is perfectly qualified. We get it wrong nearly every time we open our mouths." That certainly sums it up. If only I could achieve the perfection in the classroom I have in mind as I prepare. But that will happen if ever only for fleeting, rare moments. And any such perfection will likely be due as much to the students' efforts as to mine. And to God's grace. I have always been blessed with the most amazing students, eager, hard-working and very forgiving of the teacher. I just wish I could be the kind of teacher Jesus was. Now there's a role model for teaching. After another late night getting ready for class tomorrow, it's time to get some rest and pray that God will be with me in the classroom and with my students as we learn from each other. For that is what keeps me going.

Grace and Peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: