Friday, January 6, 2017

Pristine


Here on this day of Epiphany, just across the threshold of a New Year, the months ahead stretch before me like fresh fallen snow—new and clean, pristine. We humans like to come up with these artificial new beginnings to give ourselves a fresh start. God knows we need those. I’ve been thinking in the past few days about a familiar prayer that pretty well sums up my thoughts about this beginning of 2017, “Dear Lord, So far I've done all right. I haven't gossiped, haven't lost my temper, haven't been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or overindulgent. I'm really glad about that. But in a few minutes, God, I'm going to get out of bed. And from then on, I'm going to need a lot more help.”[1]

As I begin this New Year, I pray that God will guide me into those places where I can best serve God and others and do my small part to make this world a better place. I pray that I will continue to find things for which to express my gratitude each day. I am thankful that God’s compassion never fails. It is new not just at the beginning of a New Year, but each and every morning. With that knowledge I can face each new day in this New Year with hope and determination, knowing that when I mess up God will forgive me and provide me yet again with a new start, just for the asking.

Grace and Peace,
Donna



[1] http://www.beliefnet.com/prayers/protestant/morning/morning-prayer.aspx

No comments: