Saturday, September 1, 2007

Integrity

We talked in my Business Ethics class this past week about integrity, and the students knew instinctively what it means. One suggested it meant truthfulness, another being genuine, and I offered from the dictionary unbroken, whole. I told them about getting to hear Parker Palmer, author of Let Your Life Speak and A Hidden Wholeness, speak at a conference in Dallas on the challenge of maintaining our integrity in the workplace. That is not an easy task.

As I was reviewing the Bible texts on the lectionary for tomorrow morning in preparation for being the layleader in worship, I realized that Hebrews 13:7-8 (from Eugene Peterson's The Message)offers a great definition of integrity as well as the best example I can think of. "There should be a consistency that runs through us all. For Jesus doesn't change--yesterday, today, tomorrow, he's always totally himself." Now that's integrity! I only hope to be able to approximate that standard in my life, but I keep trying. Fortunately God possesses infinite patience.

Grace and Peace,
Donna Sue

No comments: